The church was built in the thirteenth century - some of the parishioners would have lived in the Saxon Settlement of Saddlescombe.
The Nave and chancel are Early English work although the walls were resurfaced and the windows renewed in the restoration of 1875.
The West Tower was built in 1839. A list of former rectors starting in 1270 can be seen on the south west wall of the nave.
The church bell was originally 18th century. It became badly cracked and St Swithuns church in East Grinstead gave one of theirs in exchange. The font is 19th Century but the block of wood used as a stand for the water ewer is a piece of mediaeval rood screen and still has some of the original carving and traces of colour.
The Pulpit is Jacobean and has 10 panels carved in the style of the 17th century
The Lectern is modern incorporating 2 ancient carved figures found in the vestry. It was given in memory of Mary Prizeman a former churchwarden in 1983. The original lectern, a finely carved wooden eagle was stolen.
Just inside the nave is a sculpture by W Reynolds Stephens in memory of Doreen Fitzroy who died in childbirth in 1923. Her twin brother was killed in the first war and the figure of St George above the pulpit is his memorial. Behind the font is a slate tablet by Reynolds Stone in memory of Mildred Buxton, wife of Earl Buxton, who died in 1955. The poem is by her step son. On the eastern end of the north wall there is a shaped wall tablet in memory of Earl Buxton who died in 1934. His banner as Chancellor of St Michael and St George hangs overhead. On the east wall of the north transept there is a wall tablet in memory of John Newnham d, 1756 whose father lived at Newtimber Place. He was aged 12. On the west side is a memorial to Charles and Anne Gordon 1839 and in the Sanctuary there are tablets to John and Jane Osborne 1774 and Diana Osborne 1834 who lived at Newtimber Place. On the south wall of the nave there is a memorial to another of Earl Buxton's sons who died young. On the south side of the tower there is an Osborne memorial in white marble early eighteenth century. There is a stained glass window on the south side of the aisle in memory of Charles Buxton by Eleanor Brickdale - her first stained glass window design.
The altar frontal (applique collage) that is normally in use shows a Sussex scene. At different times of the Church year, there may be other frontals or none at all.
There is a memorial stone in the churchyard commemorating the sinking of the SS Mendi in which 670 South African men lost their lives off the English Coast in 1917.
Please see The entry for Newtimber Church in the Downland Churches website for photos of the memorials and more information.
Please see The Downland Churches for details of services and activities of the Church.